Saturday the American Red Cross set up an official evacuation site at Cedar Hills Community Church for victims of the 2016 Cedar River flood. Residents of Palo and Cedar Rapids needing shelter after evacuating their homes are invited to come stay at the church.
Please pray for all those who are calling our building ‘home’ during this time. As specific needs arise, we will do our best to get the word out via social media and church-wide emails.
Red Cross Flood Disaster provides the following services (from redcross.org):
- Provides safe, dry shelter until families can return home
- Serves water and hot meals
- Plays with kids staying in shelters
- Ensures people with disabilities get the help they need
- Provides first aid
- Gives comfort and emotional support
- Distributes clean up supplies like mops, gloves and tarps
- Assesses damage in impacted neighborhoods
- Meets with families to prepare recovery plans
For more information or to donate to the Red Cross visit http://www.redcross.org/local/iowa