Congrats to Steve Poole, who was selected as the best fit for our ministry! Steve will began at Cedar Hills on August 11. Please pray for Steve, his wife Cathy and their children Abigail and Christopher as they make plans to relocate to Cedar Rapids.
Our vision as a congregation is to make disciples who make disciples in the everyday stuff of life so that every man, woman and child in our community has a daily encounter with Jesus in word and deed. Our goal as consistory is to work toward alignment of all our staff and programs with this vision.
When Jeremy shared his calling to move to Allison to become the pastor at Trinity Reformed Church, we started our discernment process for seeking a new Director of Youth and Young Adults.
The Search team processed dozens of candidates, interviewed four, and recommended two candidates to meet with our congregation, youth, parents and youth sponsors. After processing feedback from the candidate visits as well as references from the candidates we concluded that we had two excellent candidates.
Both candidates loved the Lord, had a passion for student ministry, had successful experience leading and growing student ministries, have built and led ministry teams, communicated well publicly, and have developed solid biblical/theological foundations for ministry. Both candidates were well qualified!
When we discussed vision alignment, discipleship strategy, and chemistry we agreed – unanimously – that Steve Poole was the best fit for our ministry at this time. Consistory unanimously agreed with this recommendation and offered Steve the position!
We are very excited for the gifts that Steve brings to ministry. Here are a few of the qualities that led to our decision:
- Steve has a highly relational approach to ministry.
- Steve’s focus on disciple-making, mentoring, and small groups fits closely with our vision.
- Steve has a humble, curious, and teachable spirit.
- Steve is youth culture savvy and also in touch with the latest youth ministry trends.
- Steve has current and past connections with RCA people, events, and culture. (Rocky, Power Connection, Central College, Adventure Life Reformed Church, Lakeview Camp, etc.)
- Steve’s camp experience offers unique opportunities and also represents experience working with younger children.
Welcome Steve and Cathy!
Parenting is really hard. You don’t really know that until you’re in it, and suddenly discover how much a child changes everything. You literally go from living for your own needs to living for another’s needs (and maybe another and another!)
I want to be a better parent and thought maybe gaining some new skills or perspectives would help.
Mid-June, my husband and I had the privilege of attending a Parent and Family Ministry Summit in Kansas City. The summit ran alongside a camp we also plugged our six-year-old into. At certain points throughout the week, the camp and summit converged for joint services. This is where it got super fascinating.
At the camp, the kids were specifically trained in how to walk out their faith in power and the full ministry of the Holy Spirit. One night, after some time in worship and praise, they called the parents to the front while the kids came around us in small groups and prayed a simple but effective healing prayer over us. We became their practice field to try out the new tools they had been learning all week. As parents, we are always pouring out lives into these little ones but here they were, ministering to us.
make Jesus known in this body.
Heal them in Jesus’ name.”
The next day, the camp held a special healing service for the entire community. Many flocked to the service, as they desired healing from many infirmities, some obvious, some not so obvious! Those ministering? The kids. And you know what? GOD SHOWED UP. I believe now more than ever that our children can and will walk in faith if we equip them with the tools and the simple confidence that they can walk in the power of the Holy
Director of Worship & Media
Journey Student Ministry
Just because it is summer, doesn’t mean the Journey Student Ministry takes a break. Make sure your students are a part of these events and that you are praying for the ministry this summer.
- June 2 – Regular youth night with café – 5:30-8 pm.
- June 9 – Service Night at the Church – come ready to serve from 6-8 pm.
- June 16 – Kernel’s Game – Please RSVP by Wed, June 12 to the church office.
- June 17-22 – Lead the Cause Trip to Chicago.
- June 23 and 30—off.
- July 7 – Outdoor Games and Movie Night.
- July 14 – Help at VBS – Call Kyle and tell him you want to volunteer (319) 777-4980.
- July 21 – Regular youth night with café – 5:30-8.
- July 28, August 4, and 11—off.
- August 18 – Fall Kick-off!
Jeremy Van Genderen
Director of Youth and Young Adults